OPEN BURNING/BURNING PERMITS
Burning is allowed with a permit on a case by case basis from June 1st to February 28th. From March 1st to May 31st open burning is NOT allowed at all.
The only material that can be burned is brush and yard waste (leaves/branches). NO construction material at all can be burned.
If you live in the district and wish to obtain a burning permit stop by the station located at 1110 Victory Highway in Greene, Rhode Island between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm and see the Fire Marshal.
DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT
1. Under the authority of the Department of Environmental Management, open burning of any type requires a written permit issued by your local Fire Department. Contact the Fire Department on their non-emergency line (not 911) for the burning agent nearest you.
2. In all instances fires must be attended until fully extinguished.
3. The material to be burned shall be clean brush or untreated wood.
4. Absolutely no hazardous materials.
5. Permits can only be issued to residential homeowners. Commercial and industrial operations are not permitted to burn.
PENALTIES FOR VIOLATIONS:
1. Fine of not less than $10.00 nor more than $100.00 or imprisonment for not more than 30 days nor less than 10 days or both.
2. Liability for all damages and suppression cost in fighting a resulting fire.
BURNING IN RUBBISH BURNERS AND OUTSIDE FIREPLACES:
1. Allowed without a written permit before 10.00 AM and after 5:00 PM from March 15th to May 15th.
2. With a written permit between 10.00 AM and 5.00 PM unless rain is falling or snow covers the ground.
3. In either or both instances fires must be attended until fully extinguished.
4. This applies to rubbish burners and outside fireplaces only. Any other open burning requires the written permit as stated above in part A OPEN BURNING.
PENALTIES AND VIOLATIONS ARE THE SAME AS ABOVE.
NOTE: LOCAL TOWNS MAY HAVE BURNING ORDINANCES IN PLACE THAT MAY BE STRICTER THAN THE ABOVE STATE LAWS. BE SURE TO CONSULT YOUR LOCAL FIRE DEPARTMENT.
THIS INFORMATION IS BEING FURNISHED TO YOU AS: ( A COURTESY )
YOUR COOPERATION WILL BE APPRECIATED.