INVITATION TO BID
The Western Coventry Fire District is soliciting
bids for the purchase of a new Thermal Imaging Camera. Bid specifications may
be viewed on our website at
or picked up at the station located at 1110 Victory Highway in Greene, RI
02827. Sealed bids should be sent to the WCFD District Clerk at the above
address and received no later than 4:00 pm on June 29, 2012. The District
reserves the right to reject any or all bids and to accept the bid deemed most
favorable to the interest of the district.
THERMAL IMAGING CAMERA SPECIFICATIONS
This specification covers a
commercially produced high resolution Thermal Imaging Camera specifically
manufactured for firefighting operations. Included is the associated hardware
required for day to day use.
The Thermal Imaging Camera
system delivered to these specifications shall be a standard commercial product,
with up to a 3 year warranty as an available option, heavy duty NFPA compliant
“smart” charging system, desktop charger and a total of two rechargeable
company manufacturing the Thermal Imaging Camera may be required to furnish
proof of current certification to the ISO9001-2008 quality standard.
Vendors must guarantee
that equipment tendered comply with all parts of this specification.
The purchasing entity
reserves the right to require the proposer to submit a sample of the equipment
being tendered to the purchasing entity for validation and verification that all
items claimed to be in compliance are in fact true and correct. Inability to
supply a camera of the same make and model proposed shall disqualify the
- The camera shall be warranted by the manufacturer to be
free of defects for a period of 1 year from the date of delivery by the
manufacturer. (Options for up to three years shall be available.)
- The manufacturer shall provide 48-hour turn-around on
warranty service work to the camera and batteries in such a manner to return
the Camera to the purchasing entity, in normal usable condition, within 72
hours. The purchaser shall have a manufacturer direct relationship to
initiate warranty or repair service.
Physical and Performance Specifications:
- The Camera shall be capable of sensing, imaging, and
displaying infrared radiation in the 8 to 14 micron spectral wavelengths and
shall have been designed specifically for use within a firefighting
- The Camera shall be hand-held and portable allowing it
to be passed from one firefighter to another within a firefighting environment
without removing any articles of personal protective equipment.
- In typical ambient temperature environments, when the
Camera’s on/off switch is activated to apply power to the Camera, the Camera
shall render a usable thermal image in five seconds or less.
- The Camera shall be equipped with a Vanadium Oxide
infrared imaging sensor in the 320 x 240 resolution format.
- To facilitate imaging in extreme temperatures in excess
of 2000°F, the camera shall have three operating sensitivities. High Sense or
“Normal” mode, Medium Sense, and Low Sense or “Thousand Plus” mode. Each
operating sensitivity shall be automatically selected by the camera’s
operating software with no firefighter intervention.
- To facilitate high quality image representation, the
camera shall refresh at a minimum of 60 times per second by employing a 60Hz
update rate to the sensor itself.
- The Camera’s infrared imaging engine technology shall be
specifically designed for firefighting and shall be designed, developed, and
manufactured by the same company who manufactures the finished camera
product. The Camera shall be manufactured in the United States.
- The warranty shall be a single source warranty.
- The internal video shall be displayed on minimum of a
backlit 3 ˝ inch LCD. The aspect radio consistent with the camera’s sensor.
- The Camera shall withstand multiple drops from a
distance of 6 feet on to a concrete surface without sustaining any measurable
degradation in performance.
- The Camera shall conform to the IP67 standard, ability
to withstand short-term immersion in water to a depth of three feet.
- The freeze-frame associated with NUC and mode switching
shall last no longer than 0.08 seconds.
- The camera shall not incorporate a “sleep” mode.
- The Camera shall incorporate an on-screen battery level
indicator consisting of 10 battery level increments. The battery level
indicator shall also incorporate a low battery warning.
- The Camera shall have an upgradeable option so as to be
operational using disposable AA type alkaline batteries.
- The Camera’s rechargeable batteries shall be capable of
fully and continuously operating the camera for 2-3 hours. Less than 2 hr
operation is unacceptable. Note use of any standby or sleep mode is
- The camera shall incorporate an automatic temperature
stabilization system that uses the Peltier Effect. When the camera’s
electronics heat-up to a predetermined critical temperature, the temperature
stabilization system automatically activates to dissipate heat from the
electronics and move the heat in to a heat synch.
- The Camera shall incorporate a standard video output
utilizing a BNC type connector to enable wired transmission to a remote
- The Camera shall approximately be of the following
dimensions: 5.4 x 6.5 x 4.5 inches.
- The Camera, excluding battery, shall weight under 3
- The camera will not require a pistol grip for
operation. Any pistol grip shall be easily removable in order to adapt to
various firefighting applications.
- The Camera shall incorporate through-the-lens direct
temperature measurement capability that measures relative surface temperature
readings at the point of the on screen crosshairs. The direct temperature
measurement readings shall be displayed, in numerical form.
- The camera shall have a colored temperature reference
bar in three ranges/ modes with numerical reference values displayed next to
the color reference bar.
- The camera must have see through colorization that
begins at approximately 150 degrees F and continues to no less than 2000
degrees F. Colorization shall be in three automatic and incremental modes.
- Camera start up time shall be 5 seconds or less.
- The camera will automatically switch between three sense
modes without use of firefighter operated manual switching or adjusting. Mode
switching will be driven by temperature sensing at the crosshairs in the
center of the camera display.
- Batteries shall be capable of refurbishment.